Want to mess about with monkeys all day? Well either work in our office or join this exciting project! The Xtreme Monkey Rehab programme is a really fun African wildlife conservation project. Get hands on and become a surrogate monkey minder from 2 to 12 weeks. All food and accommodation provided.
South Africa Monkey Rehab: Trip Highlights
Get ready for some Xtreme monkey business!
You will be tasked with helping out and keeping the centre running smoothly. Now if you feel that sounds like a walk in the park, just consider the fact that most of your colleagues will be juvenile baboons!
You will have to keep them in check look after them and become best mates with the troop (That’s a bunch of baboons by the way).
The daily tasks of caring for them include preparing food and milk, cleaning their play enclosures, playing, supervising, and observing them throughout the day, cleaning their sleeping cages, and preparing blankets and soft toys for their sleeping cages in the evenings. This is not a glamorous job! You will get dirty, and peed and pooped on.
The animals´ needs come first, and they need the same care on weekends as well as weekdays. Other tasks include help preparing food crates for the older troops and monitoring troops daily. There are no rigid working hours, we finish when everything is completed, although a typical volunteer day usually is 7:00am until 5:00pm. Time off is dependent on the number of volunteers at the centre.
- Playing and looking after adorable juvenile Baboons and Getting involved in a lot of monkey business.
- If you are wild about animals, and want to learn more about primates there is no better opportunity.
- Join a team of professionals and other volunteers to learn something new, rewarding and ultimately unforgettable.
- Bottle feeding orphaned baby baboons, giving you a real sense of excitement and achievement.
- Staying in an incredible environment, right in the heart of the African Bush this will be a completely mind blowing experience.
- Loads of satisfaction in knowing that what you are doing is genuinely helping out.
- Optional Kruger Park Safari way can check out the big five during your time off.
South Africa Monkey Rehab Photos
- 7:00 – It up early to have breakfast with the Monkeys, expect a lot of banana action and pretty shocking table manners!
- 9:00 – After the monkeys are full of bananas, it’s time to stuff your face as well breakfast is served.
- 10:00, 13:00 – Morning activities involves looking after the monkeys, and fulfilling various projects as set out by the staff.
- 13:00, 14:00 – It in our break for a gorgeous lunch and to discuss the crazy goings on at the monkey Sanctuary
- 14:00, 17:00 – Activities in the afternoon vary depending Upon what is happening at the monkey Sanctuary, You might be planting vegetables (We try and be a self-sustaining as possible when it comes to food for the monkeys) or but helping to build new cages, planting vegetables. You will be paired up with other members of the group and no matter what you get up to ensure to be a good laugh.
- 18:00 – Dinner
- 19:30 – After dinner, you´ll be feeding nocturnal animals, and will have the rest of the evening as free time to relax.
- Of course it goes without saying the above is just a guide. Things will change depending on the needs of the project at the time.
Volunteers are accommodated in a rustic, two story brick and timber house nicknamed ´The Mountain Lodge´. The ground floor is comprised of 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, kitchen, and open-air veranda/eating area.
The upper level has 4 bedrooms, a lounge with a DVD player and couches, and a balcony.
Bathrooms have hot water showers and flushing toilets. There are a maximum number of 4 people per bedroom. The veranda is protected from the animals by a diamond mesh wire enclosure, but rats, bugs, and other creepy crawly wildlife have free access. Electricity is 220v.
A Rough Idea of Price
All of our gap year holidays are completely customised to your needs and prices will therefore vary based on things like the time of year and level of accommodation; but we want to give you as good an idea of how much this itinerary will cost.
2 Week -Book Now
3 Week -Book Now
4 Week -Book Now
6 Week -Book Now
10 Week -Book Now
12 Week -Book Now
- Three meals a day
- Airport pickup
- All activities and assistance at the monkey Sanctuary
- Detailed pre-departure pack
- Optional trip to the Kruger National Park (small local payment)
- Visas (you are given a free 90 day tourist VISA on arrival)
- Travel insurance
- Spending Money
Frequently Asked Questions
The minimum length of time you can stay at Primate Sanctuary is two weeks. Although you can stay up to 12 weeks to really get involved in the project. 12 weeks is the maximum on a tourist VISA (you will be given 90 days on arrival.
You will need to fly into Phalaborwa airport, this involves internal flight from Johannesburg or Cape Town and our flight partners can help you with this. You will be met by an Xtreme Gap Year representative at the airport and transferred to the project. If you arrive early in to Jo Burg, you do not need a night here. 3 times a day there are flights to Phalaborwa
We can take up to 20 volunteers at one time, during the months of June and July and August we tend to be very busy so get your booking is an early. On average you will be with around 15 other people.
We’ve never dealt with a rabid animal, and I don’t have the vaccine and have been there for 3 years – but we always just inform people that when working with wild animals it is a recommended vaccination so they can decide for themselves.
Short answer is lots! This is prime African Bush, home to some of the greatest safari parks and private game reserves in Africa. There is plenty to do in the area, and whilst there are loads of activities included during the project you may want to budget a little bit extra to get involved in some extracurricular activities.Kruger National Park, the largest national park in South Africa Is a short drive away. There are optional trips into the park, to see Jessica the Hippo, the Panorama Route, and other various animal parks including a reptile park, a cheetah sanctuary, and an elephant sanctuary, among others.
With regards to payment for the extra activities. They van be paid in cash when at the centre to the staff member organising the trips during that time. If trips are not available due to lack of vehicle/staff member some volunteers chose to hire a car for 2 days to do site seeing (elephants, chimp eden for example). We do not take money in advance for trips due to the possibilities of vehicle problems or lack of available staff – the baboons always come first, but we do try our best to accommodate trips/sightseeing to other projects and the Kruger Park.
Volunteers here don´t need any prior experience ” Our dedicated Team of full-time professionals will give you all the training you need. You do need however lots of love and enthusiasm for working with primates. It can be hard work sometimes, but it is ultimately very rewarding.
What will this project give you?
This will make you really proud that is for sure. Travelling can give you so much confidence but working on a project like this is extremely self rewarding as well.
As you will be working in a team it will show that you possess initiative and have the skills to work well with other people.
Besides that it’s extremely worthwhile. It’s not everyday you make a genuine difference and do some good.
South Africa is a mixture of many different cultures, it will give you plenty of exposure to different cultures and help you grow and develop as an individual.
Job satisfaction guaranteed! This will be one of the best work experiences you could ever have, your colleagues will literally be monkeys.
It presents you with an opportunity not only to develop your CV by demonstrating skills, but will actively put you in a completely different environment that will test you. If you plan to get into animal science or medicine afterwards even better, but that aside it would be an incredible experience to tell your friends about.
This is a great way to spend serious time in South Africa, with three meals a day included all of your accommodation and lots of fun is perfect to add into any South Africa backpacking trip.
South Africa Monkey Rehab Trip Dates
May 2018 Mon: 28 May 2018 Book Now
Jun 2018 Mon: 04 Jun 2018 Book Now Mon: 11 Jun 2018 Book Now Mon: 18 Jun 2018 Book Now Mon: 25 Jun 2018 Book Now
Jul 2018 Mon: 02 Jul 2018 Book Now Mon: 09 Jul 2018 Book Now Mon: 16 Jul 2018 Book Now Mon: 23 Jul 2018 Book Now Mon: 30 Jul 2018 Book Now
Aug 2018 Mon: 06 Aug 2018 Book Now Mon: 13 Aug 2018 Book Now Mon: 20 Aug 2018 Book Now Mon: 27 Aug 2018 Book Now
Sep 2018 Mon: 03 Sep 2018 Book Now Mon: 10 Sep 2018 Book Now Mon: 17 Sep 2018 Book Now Mon: 24 Sep 2018 Book Now
Oct 2018 Mon: 01 Oct 2018 Book Now Mon: 08 Oct 2018 Book Now Mon: 15 Oct 2018 Book Now Mon: 22 Oct 2018 Book Now Mon: 29 Oct 2018 Book Now
Nov 2018 Mon: 05 Nov 2018 Book Now Mon: 12 Nov 2018 Book Now Mon: 19 Nov 2018 Book Now Mon: 26 Nov 2018 Book Now
Dec 2018 Mon: 03 Dec 2018 Book Now Mon: 10 Dec 2018 Book Now Mon: 17 Dec 2018 Book Now Mon: 24 Dec 2018 Book Now Mon: 31 Dec 2018 Book Now