Want to mess about with monkeys all day? Well either work in our office or join this exciting project! The Xtreme Monkey Rehab programme is a really fun African wildlife conservation project. Get hands on and become a surrogate monkey minder from 2 to 12 weeks. All food and accommodation provided.
South Africa Monkey Rehab Photos
South Africa Monkey Rehab: Trip Highlights
Get ready for some Xtreme monkey business!
You will be tasked with helping out and keeping the centre running smoothly. Now if you feel that sounds like a walk in the park, just consider the fact that most of your colleagues will be juvenile baboons!
You will have to keep them in check look after them and become best mates with the troop (That’s a bunch of baboons by the way).
The daily tasks of caring for them include preparing food and milk, cleaning their play enclosures, playing, supervising, and observing them throughout the day, cleaning their sleeping cages, and preparing blankets and soft toys for their sleeping cages in the evenings. This is not a glamorous job! You will get dirty, and peed and pooped on.
The animals´ needs come first, and they need the same care on weekends as well as weekdays. Other tasks include help preparing food crates for the older troops and monitoring troops daily. There are no rigid working hours, we finish when everything is completed, although a typical volunteer day usually is 7:00am until 5:00pm. Time off is dependent on the number of volunteers at the centre.
- Playing and looking after adorable juvenile Baboons and Getting involved in a lot of monkey business.
- If you are wild about animals, and want to learn more about primates there is no better opportunity.
- Join a team of professionals and other volunteers to learn something new, rewarding and ultimately unforgettable.
- Bottle feeding orphaned baby baboons, giving you a real sense of excitement and achievement.
- Staying in an incredible environment, right in the heart of the African Bush this will be a completely mind blowing experience.
- Loads of satisfaction in knowing that what you are doing is genuinely helping out.
- Optional Kruger Park Safari way can check out the big five during your time off.
- 7:00 – It up early to have breakfast with the Monkeys, expect a lot of banana action and pretty shocking table manners!
- 9:00 – After the monkeys are full of bananas, it’s time to stuff your face as well breakfast is served.
- 10:00, 13:00 – Morning activities involves looking after the monkeys, and fulfilling various projects as set out by the staff.
- 13:00, 14:00 – It in our break for a gorgeous lunch and to discuss the crazy goings on at the monkey Sanctuary
- 14:00, 17:00 – Activities in the afternoon vary depending Upon what is happening at the monkey Sanctuary, You might be planting vegetables (We try and be a self-sustaining as possible when it comes to food for the monkeys) or but helping to build new cages, planting vegetables. You will be paired up with other members of the group and no matter what you get up to ensure to be a good laugh.
- 18:00 – Dinner
- 19:30 – After dinner, you´ll be feeding nocturnal animals, and will have the rest of the evening as free time to relax.
- Of course it goes without saying the above is just a guide. Things will change depending on the needs of the project at the time.
Volunteers are accommodated in a rustic, two story brick and timber house nicknamed ´The Mountain Lodge´. The ground floor is comprised of 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, kitchen, and open-air veranda/eating area.
The upper level has 4 bedrooms, a lounge with a DVD player and couches, and a balcony.
Bathrooms have hot water showers and flushing toilets. There are a maximum number of 4 people per bedroom. The veranda is protected from the animals by a diamond mesh wire enclosure, but rats, bugs, and other creepy crawly wildlife have free access. Electricity is 220v.
A Rough Idea of Price
All of our gap year holidays are completely customised to your needs and prices will therefore vary based on things like the time of year and level of accommodation; but we want to give you as good an idea of how much this itinerary will cost.
2 Week -
3 Week -
4 Week -
6 Week -
10 Week -
12 Week -