One of Bangkok´s most unforgettable experiences. Experience local life and Thai culture by bike. After winding our way through the back alleys and streets of Bangkok’s backpacker district we head across the river and through some of the oldest communities in the city.
Passing by ancient temples, fascinating communities that seem so far removed from the rest of the city and all the while following the course of the river and canals this really is a spectacular opportunity to see a side of the city that is so often missed by travellers.
The tour takes around 3 hours – but times can and do vary! – and in terms of distance is not very far (+/-10km). And with Bangkok being totally flat it’s perfect for anyone and everyone, whether you’re a regular rider or not!
- Behind the Scenes Bangkok Bike Tour
- Overnight accommodation in a twin shared room with air-conditioning, en-suite bathrooms and hot water
This is the perfect place to go shopping prior to hitting the islands be sure to spend some time at the MBK shopping mall! It’s an experience and a great place to hunt for bargains! If you are feeling a little bit tired from all the fun and travelling, maybe a traditional Thai massage is the perfect antidote.
- You’ve got most of today to do your own thing and explore a bit more of this fantastic city – just ask your guide for inspiration and they’ll help you see what you’d like to see.
- Lots of people enjoy a lazy day today – we’re pretty sure you’ll have hit the bars and clubs last night – but if you want to get out and about why not do one of the following:
- A ‘behind the scenes’ bike tour exploring the backstreets and riverside communities of Bangkok – a great half day trip costing from 1,150THB
- Give your body a treat and have a 2 hour Thai massage – trust us, you won’t regret it. There are loads of massage shops all around the Guest House with prices starting at +/- 250/300THB
- Jump in a taxi and see the ‘other side’ of Bangkok – if you like a bit of retail therapy or even just window shopping then have a look at Siam Paragon, Siam Centre and Central World. All huge fancy shopping malls, great for people watching and even better if you’re craving a bit of comfort food from home. A taxi from your Guest House to Siam will cost around 150THB depending on the traffic!
- If you’ve not had enough of boats and the river, then taking one of the boat ‘buses’ up the Chao Phraya is a brilliant way to spend a few hours. The ferry pier is only 10 mins amble from your Guest House and for the princely sum of between 15 and 19THB you can head all the way to Nonthaburi pier taking in all the sights and sounds of the city. Once you’re at Nonthaburi, have an explore and take a look at Bang Kwang Prison (the infamous Bangkok Hilton) and get lost in the local markets. Then simply hop back on a ferry back to where you started. Probably the cheapest day out possible in Bangkok!
All these trips and more can be arranged by your guide – just tell then what you’d like to do and they’ll help you get everything sorted. Just make sure you’re back at the accommodation by 6pm to meet back us with your group and begin the journey to the beach.
Whilst your guide from this part of the trip won’t be travelling to the islands with you, don’t worry, they will ensure that you know exactly what the plan and that you have all the contact numbers you need. They will then walk with you all to the check in for the transfer to Koh Tao and stay with you until you’re all safely aboard the overnight coach heading to the islands. Not long now until you see one of the most stunning islands in South East Asia!
• Late check out (11 PM) from the accommodation, you can store your bags if you have a late flight out.
On the final day, we have a late check out and the trip ends. Return airport drop off is not included but a taxi will only cost £20. You can do more if you wish, check out the Thailand Experience to head further south for much-needed beach time!