Get up close and personal with magnificent Elephants! Washing bathing and caring for them!
After a comfortable nights sleep and breakfast, we will leave Surin Town and make our way to a rural ‘elephant village’ about 50km’s away. The main highlight of this trip and also a really unique opportunity is not only to spend time with elephants, but also to live in a small rural Thai community, which is something which is fast becoming more and more difficult to experience.
This is what backpacking and adventure is all about. Living like the locals and truly immersing yourself in the culture of the people and the land.
Our project has been vetted to ensure it is ethically run. There is absolutely NO elephant riding by our guests.
During these three days, you will get to:
Walk with the elephants to the local river and help the mahouts bathe them.
Help the mahouts clean the elephant areas.
Harvest / plant crops (depending on the season) for the elephants.
Kayak on the local river.
In the elephant village, you will get the awesome opportunity of living in a homestay, with the village headman and the members of his family, this is an absolute honour and is something that you will truly take back with you. And…you will be sleeping just a few metres away from elephants! However please note as this is a homestay experience, you won’t be staying in luxury, but the experience makes it totally worth it.
In the afternoon of day 6 we will have to say goodbye to the elephants and new friends and head back to Surin town.
- Transfer to and from the elephant village
- Elephant activities listed
- Day 3- breakfast at the hotel in Surin, lunch, and dinner and the elephant village
- Day 4- breakfast, lunch and dinner at the elephant village
- Day 5- breakfast, lunch and dinner at the elephant village
- Day 3 and 4- basic accommodation in the elephant village, shared dorm style rooms with mattresses on the floor, mosquito nets, fans and shared toilet and washing facilities
- Day 6– Overnight accommodation in a twin / triple shared room with air-conditioning, en-suite bathrooms and hot water