To become a surf instructor you will need a basic and competent level of surfing ability, although admittedly you do not have to be an expert. Much of the “skill” is gained through practice, a lot of which you will obtain on this course. The academy is designed to produce competent surfers in three months that have the skills to complete certification requirements, or become an intermediate level surfer. We have our best coaches working with the students every day which provides a high level of one on one attention. This allows them to improve their surfing in a short amount of time. We use techniques such as video and photo assessment, class room theory, surf fitness, water safety awareness, and countless water time in a concentrated form to ensure we achieve our outcomes. All this takes place in our own surf camps with access to the best waves in all conditions. Our academy is a truly unique experience.
Experience summer beach parties, make new heaps of new friends from all over the world, relax and enjoy the sun, sea and sand while learning how to become a surf instructor. The programme takes place about a two hour drive from Byron Bay. Here you find the secluded beaches and the surf camp where you will eat, breathe and live surf! You will develop your surfing abilities, focus on your teaching techniques and then we qualify you to work in the industry.
Surf Instructor Course Australia Photos
Surf Instructor Course Australia: Trip Highlights
BECOME A PROFESSIONAL SURF INSTRUCTOR & GET THE BEST JOB GOING IN AUSTRALIA
The surf academy courses are run by qualified surf coaches at our purpose built surf camp two hours from Byron Bay on the beautiful mid north coast of Australia. In three months you learn all surfing skills from beginner to pro from an ex-professional and gain all you need to get an amazing job down under. It´s all about the surf and you get to live the ultimate life style. You will learn coaching skills and life saving skills. The certificate is recognized worldwide and is the perfect start for a new career! All inclusive too, so all your meals, accommodation, equipment and instruction are all included, even your transport from Sydney or Brisbane on an awesome bus.
- You train for three months, surfing every day, living in a cool surf house right on the beach!
- All your food is taken care of leaving you with no hassles, just time to improve your surf!
- Loads of backpackers come to the camp, so you have an awesome social scene too.
- After you have your qualification (local payment), you can teach and get paid – The BEST GAP YEAR JOB IN AUSTRALIA!
Sounds like a dream, and for many it is, but with the surf instructor programme you can make it a reality. You are located about a two hours drive from Byron Bay, living right next to golden sands and clear clue sea. It is not uncommon to share the waves with the occasional dolphin either!
If you want to properly master the art of surfing and turn your new found passion into a career (or at least a fine gap year job) then this is for you. Not only do you get to spend three months surfing and living in great beach side surf shacks, but ultimately you can be paid to surf for a living!
- Understand surf safety and ocean awareness
- Understand surf conditions and wave selection
- Ability to catch unbroken waves
- Ability to ride across the face of unbroken waves
- Ability to get out the back of breaking waves
- Improved fitness and ocean knowledge
- Understand surf equipment and its uses
- Demonstrate surf fitness
- Ability to perform a bottom and top turn on unbroken waves up to one metre
- Demonstrate correct wave selection
- Demonstrate ability to ride right and left breaking waves (forehand and backhand)
- Demonstrate ability to negotiate rips and currents
- Apply first aid techniques
- Perform an ocean rescue
- Ability to swim 500 metres in under ten minutes
- Apply advanced resuscitation techniques
- Ability to instruct a surf lesson
- Perform a risk assessment on the surf lesson area
- Ability to create surf lesson plans
- Perform cut backs & re-entry´s in one metre waves
- Ability to link manoeuvers on unbroken waves
Set in a beautiful surf spot in a National Marine Park, this is a unique opportunity to spend time in one of Australia´s most beautiful coastal areas. You be living in a beach front cottage with other surfers. The secluded beach is situated between Sydney and Byron Bay.
There will be short term surfers here and others like you training to become a surf instructor. It is a good and safe community and everyone is supportive and open to meeting new people. There is a nice communal area, camp fire area, free coffee and tea and a big TV room where you can chill if you wish.
A Rough Idea of Price
All of our gap year holidays are completely customised to your needs and prices will therefore vary based on things like the time of year and level of accommodation; but we want to give you as good an idea of how much this itinerary will cost.
3 Month - Excl. local payment
3 Month - 2018 April-June Excl. local payment