No, most of our travellers are solo travellers. You will meet lots of people on the different weeks. With group start dates and lots of group activities, you will make new friends really easy.
This trip is epic. Combining arguably two of the greatest backpacking routes in the world. You can immerse yourself in culture and good times in Southeast Asia. Prior to witnessing one of the most beautiful countries and adrenaline packed locations on the planet New Zealand!
Round The World S.E. Asia & New Zealand: Trip Highlights
This exciting trip starts off in Bangkok, with the Xtreme Thailand Experience. A four week fully guided group trip to the best places in Thailand. Then we include a flexible hop on hop off pass trough the North of Thailand, the whole of stunning Laos, into Cambodia seeing sights like Angkor Wat and last but not least the whole of Vietnam from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi (South to North and everything in between) before heading to New Zealand to enjoy the stunning nature, Kiwi hospitality and adrenaline activities in Queens Town! Men… this trip is Epic!
Some of the highlights include:
- Meeting up online before you go travelling
- Meeting new friends and sharing adventures
- Immersing yourself in Thailand culture and parties on the Xtreme Thailand Experience
- Tropical Islands and amazing beaches
- Fullmoon Party
- Staying at an elephant camp
- Koh Tao Adventure options with diving, freediving, Muay Thai or yoga sessions
- Amazing Adventure with boat ride and snorkelling plus viewpoint!
- Try Out Scuba with an Xtreme Trial Scuba Experience
- Bangkok, Hanoi, Vientiane and many more exciting cities
- Street food and Asian flavours at every turn (tip avoid the squid jerky)
- Tuk Tuks, Rickshaws and crazy traffic!
- River tubing in Laos and stunning scenery
- Angkor Wat in Cambodia
- Enjoy the many water sports or kick back and relax in Sihanoukville
- Learn about Cambodia’s history at the S21 Prison and Killing Fields
- Learn about the history of the American and Vietnam War at sights and musea
- Come face to face with monkeys, gibbons and other endangered species at the Primate Centre in Vietnam
- Explore life in the old town of Hoi An, a picture perfect Vietnamese riverside town; listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Flexible travel in New Zealand
- Learn all bout Maori culture
- Visit Lord of the Rings’ volcanoes
- Majestic Franz Josef glacier with a free day to hike and explore it
- Stunning sites and adrenaline activities in Queens Town
Round The World S.E. Asia & New Zealand Photos
Experience Thailand with our top selling trip. Four adventure-filled weeks, that will take you from Bangkok to the heart of Thailand, to the tropical beaches of Koh Tao. Our included airport collection, Thai guides, guaranteed group numbers and jam-packed itinerary make this ideal for first time or solo travellers. Meet new people, make new friends, plus choose from 5 awesome activities for your 3rd week and have an unforgettable month-long journey.
Link to Xtreme Thailand Experience.
The Xtreme New Zealand Xplorer (Our Awsome New Zealand Travel pass) enompasses all of the xtreme highlights of NZ, bungee jumping, rafting, glacier trekking, volcano walking, as well as taking you way off the beaten track to isolated hill stations, glacial lakes, massive surf breaks, golden beaches and big blue skies.
Link to New Zealand Xplorer.
A flexible hop on hop off adventure taking in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, starting in the capital of Thailand Bangkok and ending in the capital of Vietnam Hanoi. With the recommended a trip time of 56 days (min 38), this is the perfect guided group backpacking adventure taking in four incredible Southeast Asia countries. All transport, loads of activities included.
Link to South East Asia Xplorer.
A Rough Idea of Price
All of our gap year holidays are completely customised to your needs and prices will therefore vary based on things like the time of year and level of accommodation; but we want to give you as good an idea of how much this itinerary will cost.
6 Month -Book Now
Thailand (first 4 weeks)
The First 2 weeks
- Personal meet & greet at the airport
- Transfers to your hotel in Bangkok
- Meet your other adventurers: Access to online buddy lists before you leave!
- Unforgettable Bangkok city tour
- Wat Arun, Wat Pho & Reclining Buddha
- 13 nights total accommodation in high standard guesthouses and homestays
- Breakfast during the first 2 weeks
- Some delicious meals included
- A 2 day elephant experience with food included
- River rafting experience
- 2 days of trekking in a stunning national park
- Night markets & Nights Out
- Cookery class
- 24 hour emergency support
- Maximum group size 26
- Overnight Transfer to Koh Tao
On Koh Tao
- Koh Tao adventure day which includes:
- Boat around the island
- Snorkelling in crystal clear waters round a tropical paradise island
- Spectacular trek up to an incredible view point
- Koh Tao Extra Activities Included
- Beach BBQ after beach Clean up day
- Beach Clean up day
- Stand Up Paddling
- Xtreme Discover Scuba Dive
- Koh Tao activity option Week inclusions (pick one option):
- Get fit pack: 5 Muay Thai Sessions (5 hours), all equipment (for rent included) and training one on one with a Muay Thai Trainer
- Get ripped pack: 4 Crossfit sessions. These 4 classes will teach you all the basic movements and techniques for CrossFit
- Xtreme Freediving Pack: a 2 day beginner free diving course
- Relax With Yoga: 5 yoga sessions spread out over 5 days
- The learn to dive course includes a full PADI open water course, course materials, instruction and 4 dives
- Full moon party
- All Accommodation
- Breakfast on arrival on Koh Tao
- 12 nights accommodation in standard fan room in Koh Tao at our luxury resort
- Free Wi-Fi at the accommodation
- Pick up from the boat and transfer to the resort in Koh Tao by taxi
- Back up & support second to none. Services of our tour leaders and English-speaking reps who are available and based locally 24/7.
Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam (56 days recommended)
- Pre departure information
- Pick up at different locations in Thailand and Laos
- Reservations for extra tours and accommodation will be made by the guide
- Flexible hop on hop off pass minimum travel time 56 days, taking you all the way from Bangkok to Hanoi
- All Transportation, flexible itinerary
- Services of the Tour Leader who can help with accommodation and activities
New Zealand (32 days recommended)
- Pre departure information
- Activities as per itinerary
- Private transportation throughout New Zealand
- Driver guide showing you all the best places
- Services of the Tour Leader who can help with accommodation and activities
- Awesome hop on hop off flexible itinerary covering both islands
- Travel Insurance
- Meals (in Thailand we do include a few!)
- Accommodation in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & New Zealand
- Transport from Koh Tao to Bangkok
Frequently Asked Questions
The trip ends in Koh Tao, please note return transfer is not included in the price of the trip.
Returning back to Bangkok to get on your next trip is easy, transfers can be arranged on Koh Tao through rep and the cost is approximately £20. If you’re flying out straight after the trip ends, you have two options to meet your flight in Bangkok.
You can fly or take the boat and bus.
Yes, for some parts of the trip (Vietnam) you do need a visa. For Thailand and Laos and Cambodia, you get on at the border. But please know that arranging a visa is totally up to you and not Xtreme´s responsibility.
Absolutely our guides will be there to meet you off your flight. If you are nervous about flying on your own, we also hook you up with a buddy list where you can chat to other people on your trip prior to booking your flights. That means you can coordinate your flights together and have a travel buddy as you go.
This is a hard question as age range does vary. Most people travelling with us are between 18 and 26.
Is this trip suitable for you? The average age on this trip is between 18 and 26. Although it is open to all. The make up of the groups is usually 60% female to 40% male, just going to show, girls really are braver than boys! So come on lads, what are you waiting for? Prove us wrong!
Thailand is a very safe country in general, it does however get a lot of press due to the political situation. Comparatively you are more in danger in a big city in western Europe then you are backpacking in Thailand. We have a guide with you at all times, and there is a great support network available to you to help you out even for the little things like losing your bank card.
Your driver/guide provides you with a wealth of knowledge about history, culture, and trivia as well as recommending and booking activities and accommodation for you around Asia. They are walking guidebooks, always there to help and entertain!
The average age of passengers is about 20 – 26.. No matter what the age we find we attract on-to-it people who want to meet other travellers, and get out there and further off the beaten track.
Our buses range from 14 seaters to 45 seaters with an average group of about 20. We keep them smaller so you can see and do more, and because we find that that groups of this size simply work better.
Its perfect for people travelling by themselves. Asia is relatively safe and our smaller group sizes means, you can meet more people and your driver is always there for any questions you may have.
Backpacks are recommended but suitcases are fine you don´t need to walk great distances with them (just between the accommodation and the bus). The majority of the time while you´re doing activities they will be stored away (on the bus or at your accommodation). We recommend you bring a good day pack (small backpack) or bag you can carry easily for water bottles, towels, cameras, sunblock etc.
You´ll need to bring a decent pair of sneakers/trainers that you can walk in comfortably. Hiking boots are good but not essential. In summer you´ll find flip flops/thongs are the favoured option!
We include free days (non-travel days) in key locations, so even if you´re completing your trip in the minimum days required you´ll have time to do activities and explore each of these areas. We also have free mornings or afternoons in most places for you to do local activities, just relax or and do some necessary laundry!
Most accommodations and activities accept debit and credit cards, so you don´t have to carry too much cash with you. Some cash on the other hand, is advisable, because some accommodations may require a cash key deposit.
Your travel pass includes all land transport, guidance, free activities such as walks and the city orientations. Your driver will book accommodation for you if you like but the cost is not included in your pass (you´ll just need to pay as you go).
The bus guide helps you reserve accommodation in all our overnight stops. You´ll be guaranteed a bed with a range of accommodation levels, from hostel dorms to made up private rooms; our driver/guides will help you with this. You are free to book your own accommodation if you wish. You will need to book your own accommodation for the night before you start your trip and let us know where you are staying so we know where to pick you up from. We can recommend places for you to stay if you need help.
Accommodation is not included in the New Zealand Xplorer. Why? Well let’s just think about this. New Zealand is an incredible place with so much to see and do and has lots of places that you will want to stay for longer. As this is not a set tour with specific day-to-day itinerary, you can stay longer in certain places should you wish. So we do not include accommodation to allow the trip to be flexible. That doesn’t mean you will be stranded, we can pre-book accommodation for you as you go (the guide will sort that out for you on the bus).
As a bare minimum you can do this in 25 days. But that really is pushing it, we would recommend spending four weeks
Then you should definitely join. Most of our travellers are solo travellers looking to join a group. The New Zealand Xplorer is designed to help you meet people easily. Backpacking in New Zealand is highly social, but this really makes it easy.
Most people start in Auckland although you can start in Christchurch as well.
We would work on the basis of about £30 per day. You will need to cover your hostel bed for the night and food. Also if you wish to do any adrenaline activities as you travel these can be fairly expensive, be sure to budget enough for some skydiving bungee-jumping!
Just talk to us, hit the e-mail button and send us your question, we are experts at sending people backpacking New Zealand.
Special payment conditions
On round the world bookings we can stage payment to make it easier to save, you can of course pay all at once.
- Time of booking if travelling in more than 6 months -25% deposit of the balance
- At 16 Weeks until departure ” 50% of the balance
- 12 weeks before departure ” the remaining 25% balance.
This ensures you have enough time to save for your flights, spending money and insurance.
Round The World S.E. Asia & New Zealand Trip Dates
15 July 2018
05 August 2018
02 September 2018
30 September 2018
28 October 2018
02 December 20188
Start Dates 2019
06 January 2019
03 February 2019
03 March 2019
31 March 2019
28 April 2019
02 June 2019
30 June 2019
28 July 2019
25 August 2019
29 September 2019
27 October 2019
24 November 2019